São Paulo, June 30, 2021 - In light of the news that Grupo Carrefour Brasil had the intention of censoring academic research and prosecuting its authors, we would like to make it clear and emphatically that this is not true. We support and will continue to support any and all academic research, and we are vehemently opposed to any form of censorship or action that seeks to impede the freedom of research and opinion.
So that there is no doubt:
• THERE IS NO PROCESS AND THERE WON'T BE.
• WE WILL NOT SUPPORT ANY FORM OF CENSORSHIP.
• WE WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT, AS WE ALWAYS DID, ANY AND ALL ACADEMIC RESEARCH. WE ARE PROUD OF EVERY ACTION WE HAVE BEEN PERFORMING AND PROMOTING, NOT JUST IN OUR COMPANY AND ECOSYSTEM, BUT THROUGHOUT THE SOCIAL DEBATE.
Let's get to the facts:
• Grupo Carrefour Brasil guided and guides its actions by full transparency. That's exactly why we launched the website www.naovamosesquecer.com.br and held a broad forum on the anti-racist fight, where we exposed all our actions and learning from the last few months, in addition to launching an anti-racist clause for suppliers.
• From the beginning, we exposed the actions in several forums, which were followed by many researchers and scholars on the subject.
• We believe that we can contribute more and more to the debate, clarifying doubts and learning from suggestions whenever we are contacted by any researcher, academic or advocate of the anti-racist cause, something that the authors haven't done. It's not about needing consent, it's about providing the best information to the public. Who wins is the anti-racist fight.
Anyone who threatens prosecution or defends censorship does not commit to a public notice focused on conducting research, in addition to investing in education – R$68 million in scholarships for black people alone. We hope that all the changes that we have been carrying out in favor of the anti-racist cause in recent months will be the object of numerous researches so that society can know and evolve happened, and so that we can also learn from those who do science. Our commitment is to freedom, transparency and the anti-racist fight. And in view of this, we make ourselves available to all those who want to understand the actions and our anti-racist commitment.